International Day of the Midwife
Today is May 5th... International Day of the Midwife.
I thought I would take this opportunity to express my full support for the midwives who provide amazing support for women and children around the world. And I especially want to express my deepest gratitude for the amazing midwives who delivered my own three beautiful baby girls!
From left to right: Bean (delivered in hospital by Joy Allan), Baby Bear (delivered in hospital by Hayley Goldsmith), Buttons (delivered at home by Cheryl Mount & Caroline Hunt)
Of all the decisions I have made since I became pregnant with my eldest daughter, choosing midwives would be in the top three. Not only did they offer a high level of care and support, but they also gave me open-minded, non-judgmental, and reliable information for all the overwhelming decisions a pregnant mama needs to make.
I believe that it was this support that further encouraged my own journey of making healthy, natural choices for myself and my family.
If you ever want to hear just how much I love my midwives, come join me for coffee or tea and I would love to talk your ear off :)
I hope to begin writing out my three birth stories in the near future and I already know that when I do, three things will be very evident:
- Every woman is different. Every experience is different.
- The joy of the experience is not determined by the ease of the experience.
- Midwives are awesome. 'Nuff said.
I believe wholeheartedly that midwives are the BEST choice for women everywhere and our support will help make it possible for more women to have access to this high level of care.
If you're unfamiliar with midwifery care, you can check out the links below:
- Midwives Association of BC: http://www.bcmidwives.com/
- Canadian Association of Midwives: http://www.canadianmidwives.org/
- American College of Nurse-Midwives: http://www.midwife.org/
- International Confederation of Midwives: http://www.internationalmidwives.org/