Fit Friday: 10 Tips to Stay Motivated
Here's another great post by Ashley for our Fit Friday series! This is just what I needed this week to keep up with my HIIT workout challenge for June! Don't forget to follow along with me on twitter and instagram with #MOREfit!
We all get stuck in a "workout rut" sometimes, and most of us experience days where the LAST thing in the world we want to do is lace up our runners, and hit the gym or the pavement! This post will hopefully inspire you, give you a few tips, and be a reference to keep you motivated the next time you feel like you are in a slump and don't want to move that beautiful body of yours!
10 Tips to Stay Motivated
1. Make a list of your short term and long term goals. Creating specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely goals are so important to the success of your workout routine and your commitment to a new program. Make a list of goals that you can easily reference and check off once you have reached them. It is important to create short term and long term goals to keep you engaged and encouraged throughout your journey. Think holistically about all areas of your life as well. How is your nutrition? Your sleep? Your quiet/recharge time? Prioritize your list and creatively brainstorm how you can reach each goal that you have set out to accomplish.
2. Wear cute workout clothes. I don't know about you, but I am always extra motivated when I am feeling confident and cute in my workout clothes! Gone are the days of baggy t-shirts and sweat pants that make you feel even more insecure about being at the gym or outside. Throw on your favourite, bright coloured top to help you feel motivated and beautiful in your skin.
3. Update your music playlist. Download the latest, greatest, pick-me-up songs to get your body moving and your mind distracted! I know I have had a good workout when I catch myself singing out loud to my favourite tunes! You will be surprised how quickly the time will go when you are jamming to your favourite songs!
4. Buddy up. Schedule your workout for date night with your significant other, or plan to go to a group fitness class or out for a run with a friend. Having someone to hold you accountable is a great way to reach your goals, and this allows for some quality time in your life with the ones you love. Next time you plan a coffee date with a friend, take it to go and enjoy a walk together in the gorgeous summer sunshine.
5. Lay your workout clothes out the night before OR if you choose to get active in the evening, bring your change of clothes WITH you to work. This little tip allows for no excuses and reminds you of your priorities when you are feeling unmotivated and tired. Have your clothes ready in the morning, so you see them first thing and don't even have to think about what to wear. Or, if you schedule your workout for the evening, pack your clothes so you don't have to go home first! 9 times out of 10, it will be a lot harder to leave your house again to go exercise once you've settled in and had a few minutes on the couch!
6. Visualize the "after-feeling" and how good you will feel when you are finished. Visualization is so important for helping you reach your health and fitness goals. Remind yourself of the endorphin rush that comes as soon as you are finished a good workout. It's amazing how your spirits can be lifted and your attitude changed when you sweat once a day!
7. Create a money jar. When I find myself in a slump, I pull out a big mason jar, decide on an amount I am going to use (ex. .25, or $1) and every time I choose to exercise, I throw a coin into my jar. As a reward for all my hard work, I use this saved money to buy something small, but special, to celebrate all the hours I have spent taking care of my body. (ex. new nail polish, sports bra, green juice, or a water bottle)
8. Schedule your workout in your calendar. I can't imagine life without my agenda, and when I schedule time into my day and write it in my calendar, I always follow through. Treat your workout as an appointment with yourself that you refuse to miss. You wouldn't bail on a friend last minute, or just skip a dentist appointment right? Commit, write it down, and cross it off your to-do list for the day when you are finished!
9. Stay fuelled properly throughout your day for energy, and muscle recovery. This tip is SO important to keep you motivated and encouraged in your fitness journey. Make sure you are getting enough calories in your day to fuel your mind, body, and soul! Focus on lean proteins, complex carbs, healthy fats, and tons of fruit and veggies to keep your metabolism high throughout the day! If you workout in the evening, make sure you have a little snack 1-2 hours before and a nutritious meal after. If you like to workout in the morning, have a little something before you leave (ex. 1/2 banana) and then replenish your body with a balanced breakfast 30 minutes after!
10. Do something you love! Are you a runner, and can't stand being inside lifting weights at the gym? Or, do you love dance classes and can't imagine yourself trying CrossFit? That's ok! Find what you love and with some variety, stick to what gets you motivated to start moving. We are all unique, and our bodies respond to different forms of exercise - there is not one cookie cutter way.