Tangy Pickley Cucumber Salad
Need a way to get your family (or yourself) to eat the rest of the cucumbers hanging out in your refrigerator? Turn them into a tangy, pickle-y cucumber snack! (Works great as a side dish for a meal, too!)
Dehydrated minced or powdered garlic
Spicy, savoury vinegar
Note: I’ve never measured the ingredients for this recipe – I just wing it every single time. That means there’s no wrong way to make this recipe!
1. Slice up your cucumbers. Any amount will do. I chopped most of a package of little cucumbers, as they seemed to be ready to be eaten as soon as possible (lest they end up in the garbage in a few more days).
2. Add some white vinegar (dilute with water if you don’t like straight vinegar). Add a little bit of a flavoured vinegar, if you have some on hand. I picked up a bottle of medium spicy savoury vinegar from a local farmer’s market. It reeeeally has a kick to it, which I learned from day one, so I have to be mindful to dilute it with other liquids (in this case, the white vinegar and water).
3. Add a combination of seasoning, to taste: salt, pepper, dill weed, garlic, cilantro, parsley, red chili flakes, etc.
The bulleted list is what I used this particular morning. Really, you can add any spices you think would taste good.
Note: The odd time, I’ll sprinkle in a bit of sugar, just in case I made the mix too spicy. I did that this morning, but I don’t normally do it.
4. Put everything in a water-tight container. Make sure the cucumbers are submerged in the liquid so that they can soak up all of the pickle-y goodness.
5. Leave the container in the fridge until you’re ready for a snack! The longer you let them soak up the liquid, the better they’ll taste (well, to a point – eventually you’ll need to say goodbye to them and throw them out…). I recommend leaving them in the fridge for at least a full day.
6. Shake up the container every now and then to make sure that everything that’s dissolved has a chance to kiss each and every one of the cucumbers!
7. When you get hungry, pull them out, grab a fork, and dig in! (Oh, and share them with the people you live with!)
Warning: It’s hard to stop eating them. Prepare to feel bloated… ;)